Things You Should Know About Carbon Monoxide

Most people know the importance of installing a smoke detector in their home. But what they fail to realize is that a carbon monoxide detector is just as important and should also be installed their homes. This device will warn you about the presence of carbon monoxide and reduce your chances of dying from carbon dioxide poisoning by as much as 50%.

What is carbon dioxide?

Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be generated in your home without you knowing. It is invisible, silent and deadly.

Carbon monoxide can be emitted from a number of sources such as furnaces, gas ranges, fireplaces, grills, lanterns, stoves, water heaters and other gasoline powered equipment.

 What are the symptoms of carbon dioxide poisoning?

Person’s affected by carbon dioxide generally show lightheadedness, nausea, headache, indigestion and flu-like symptoms. High level poisoning can result in blurred vision, confusion, shortness of breath, vomiting and loss of consciousness.

The longer the person’s exposure to carbon monoxide is, the more serious the symptoms can become. It can even be fatal when inhaled in large amounts.

A major gas leak should be stopped immediately because it can be fatal. Carbon monoxide poisoning is accountable for more than 400 deaths and 20,000 emergency room visits every year.

Test your detector

Studies show that 9 out of 10 carbon monoxide accidents occur in residential homes. Since it is difficult to detect, the only way to know detect the presence of carbon monoxide in your home is through the detector.

Using a carbon monoxide detector is only a part of prevention. Make sure that your detector is functioning properly by testing it every month. This is especially important as the unit gets older. If the device you are relying on isn’t working properly, then it’s worthless.


Need HVAC Service?

Contact the experts at Carbon Valley Heating & Air.

Call us at 303-833-4466!