Carbon Monoxide Safety in Your Home


Carbon Monoxide Safety in Your HomeCarbon monoxide (CO) is a highly toxic gas. Even mild exposure can lead to dizziness, headache or feeling sick. High levels of carbon monoxide can cause mental confusion, loss of coordination, and even loss of consciousness.

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for more than 400 deaths in the country each year. It also sends 20,000 people to the emergency room – 4,000 of which are admitted in the hospital.

Here are some tips to protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Install carbon monoxide detectors

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas. To make it easier for you to determine the presence of carbon monoxide, we suggest that you install a CO detector on every level of your home.
This special device will alert you to high levels of carbon monoxide, enabling you to leave the house and get to safety immediately. Some detectors can be plugged directly into an electrical outlet while others are battery-operated. If you own a battery-operated detector, make sure that you replace the batteries every 6 months to ensure proper functioning.

Schedule regular furnace maintenance

Your furnace is a potential source of carbon monoxide emission. The best way to prevent CO poisoning is to keep your furnace in top shape. Call an Eire HVAC professional at least once a year to have it cleaned, inspected, and tuned up. Do this before the cold weather season begins. The older your furnace is, the more important it is to maintain it. If your furnace isn’t running at peak efficiency, it can be hazardous to your health.

Eliminate additional risks in your home

Generators and gas or charcoal grills can generate large amount of carbon monoxide inside your home -fatal levels of CO can be produced in just minutes from these sources. That said, you should never use a generator inside your home, garage, basement or less than 20 feet from the vent, doors or windows. Also, gas and charcoal grills should only be used outside the house.

Install gas-powered appliances properly

Make sure that all gas-powered appliances like ovens, gas ranges, and clothes dryers are properly installed according to manufacturer’s instructions. Ideally, have them installed by a qualified professional.

Need HVAC Service?

Contact the experts at Carbon Valley Heating & Air.

Call us at 303-833-4466!